"There were nearly 255,000 students enrolled from the four-year-old level through 12th grade in Jewish elementary and secondary schools in the 2013-14 school year," says the latest JDS census from The AVI CHAI Foundation
. "This represents an increase of 12% since the previous census in 2008-9 and 37% since 1998-99. Enrollment has grown by 70,000 students in this span of 15 years. Most of that growth is in Chassidic and Yeshiva World schools, which have grown by nearly 110% and 60% respectively."
And in the non-Orthodox world?
"Community school enrollment has increased, whereas enrollment has declined in non-Orthodox schools overall. Non-Orthodox enrollment now constitutes 13% of all day school enrollment, a decrease from 20% as reported in 1998-99."
What's your take on this?New Census of Jewish Day Schools Released
Want to make sure that your Board is truly informed on affordability issues? Then check the titles of our PEJE whitepapers.
• Endowment: “So I, too, Plant these for My Children”: Endowment Development examines how schools and communities are using endowment funds to address affordability.
• “And You Shall Strengthen Your Brother”: Middle-Income Strategies, our comprehensive report on school- and community-wide efforts in North America to put JDS within reach of middle-income families.
• iCap: iCAP: Keeping Jewish Day School Accessible to Middle-Income Families analyses Solomon Schechter of Greater Boston’s innovative middle-income affordability strategy.
• “According to His Way”: Blended Learning investigates how blended learning is, or might, be a tool for JDS affordability.
• Read the first Affordability Knowledge Center White Paper: an in-depth analysis of Kehillah Funds, a strategy used by schools or communities trying to solve their particular affordability challenge.
We have plenty of hard copy versions. If you'd like a batch for your Board, let us know (email@example.com) and we'll mail them to you right away.Affordability Knowledge Center Publications - PEJE Jewish Education Resources
Endowment: "So I, too, Plant these for My Children": Endowment Development examines how schools and communities are using endowment funds to address afford